Get Familiar With Rising Artist: Concept



What is your name and what city do you rep?


My name is T.J. Brooks-Thompson but my stage name is Concept. I'm a singer, rapper, and songwriter from  St. Louis, MO. I recently released a17 song album titled "Tabula Rasa" referring to having a blank slate. It's meant to be a metaphor for me starting from scratch as well as for the music that i have created being an influence on reality.


What is unique about you and your music?


My music covers multiple genres. In this album listeners will hear jazz, hip hop, rap, neo soul, and r&b. Being that I like so many different types of music (blues, jazz, neo soul, trap, dubstep, afrobeat, etc.) i try to write songs that i would be drawn to myself. I write these songs based off of my own life experiences and observations. The themes include love, romance, loss, pride, and self discovery. I feel like this album differs from the averagr expectation of a mixtape just in how they are written and how they sound.


Tell us about your upcoming projects...


I've actually only been working on this project for about a year but I've been permforming and writing all my life. I find just about anything can inspire me but relationships and all aspects of human and social interactions are my main muse. I find myself writing lyrics down or hearing music daily.


What do you do when you don’t do music (creative or otherwise) and that you are passionate about? 


Music is my number one passion that i spend most of my time on. I constantly study music watch movies, documentaries, and interviews to try and better grasp the artistic and business sides. To me being able to do music full time and financially support myself with my art would be the definition of happiness.


What do you wish you were told when you first started making music that you think would help artists just starting out? 


I feel like I'm just starting myself so I'm figuring things out still, but I would say that this is a great time for independent artists. If someone wants to do music they should do it. I wish i hadn't waited this long to take my own music career seriously. My hope is that my love for music and my aspirations are heard and felt through my music. That people will gravitate and relate to it. Tabula Rasa is currently streaming on all platforms. More music to come soon. 


Where do we find you music / music projects?  


Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/3gJ6BjNIiAX0m1xQoUaYHF?si=a0uqkOheRu6VaBY_OGHR4w

Apple music: https://music.apple.com/us/album/tabula-rasa/1532446099

Instagram: https://instagram.com/concept_314?igshid=12ic60dzv2g1a

Twitter: https://music.apple.com/us/album/tabula-rasa/1532446099

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuwy35A2sRr3776IDD_WG7g


No comments

Post a Comment